Sunday 7 August 2011

Why I love cafe rides

It's sometimes a rarity I get to join with a group of co-workers and friends to head off to the cafe on a Sunday, recently it's been quite frequent (the August race calendar is appalling!)

It might be questioned why I'd go on such a ride, rather than a training ride which would be a couple of mph faster. It's that lack of pressure to train which makes them fun... and in my opinion a good training tool. My power may be down about 25% to a solo ride, but it's still miles in the legs and the difference between my normal tempo helps break things up.

We don't smash it, our average is often around 16mph and in fact, we sometimes do less than 60 miles, but it's enjoyable. Granted, I get a few intervals in up some climbs, but they know I'll always wait. These are people who love cycling just as a hobby, it's good fun to be with them, it's not all about speed, power and all the racing lark.

To be honest at times of the year, it's just what you need - and I'd recommend it to anyone who's training and racing week in, week out. It breaks your season up, gives you time to chill...

Oh and it's amazing how many hours you can do on a bacon sausage and egg sandwich!

No comments: